Need a Library Card?
Library cards are available to residents of East Lyme and Niantic at no charge. We require a photo ID with your local address in East Lyme or Niantic or a photo ID with a piece of mail to verify your local address (for patrons 16 and older). A parent or guardian must sign and show ID for a child 15 and younger. Parents are responsible for materials on their child's card.
Temporary residents get a library card after paying a $10 fee. The fee will be refunded when the card is returned. Temporary residents are limited to 10 items at a time. Temporary cards are valid in East Lyme only.
We honor all other valid Connecticut public library cards. Your hometown library is determined by the address on your CT driver’s license. (Per Regulations of CT State Agencies, Section 11-31c-1)
Loan Periods and Fines
- New Fiction: 2 weeks, 10 cents per day late fee
- New Nonfiction: 3 weeks, 10 cents per day late fee
- Express Books: (limit of 3), 2 weeks with one renewal, 25 cents per day late fee
- Express Movies: (limit 1), one week with no renewals, $1 per day late fee
- DVD movies and TV Series: (limit of 6), one week, $1 per day late fee. No renewals on the three week DVDs.
- Books on CD: 3 weeks, 10 cents per day late fee
- Magazines: 2 weeks, 10 cents per day late fee
- Music CDs: 3 weeks, 10 cents per day late fee.
- Museum Passes: (limit 1 per family), 2 days, No Renewals, $2 per day late fee. Museum passes may not be returned in either drop, and must be returned to the circulation desk.
- Materials can be renewed online or over the phone with your library card number. Materials cannot be renewed if another patron has a hold on them.
- Limit 25 items per person.
- Patrons are responsible for any fines on their accounts.
- We do not charge fines for any day we are closed.
- Patrons must be 16 years or older to check out videos and museum passes.
- Fines can be paid at the library or with a credit card through your Lion online account.
- We have two book drops located outside the double doors of the building. One drop is for books and one drop is for media items. The book drops can be used to return materials when the library is closed.
Lost or Damaged Items
Patrons are responsible for the care of the materials that they check out. If an item is lost or damaged it must be paid for in full, no partial payments. We no longer accept replacement copies. The full cost of the item is due along with a two dollar fee for a new barcode. There are no refunds for paid items. If the item has been borrowed from another library the patron can pay with a check made out to the owning library or online through their account.
- Fax Service: $1.00 per page to send or receive
- Computer and Photocopier Printing Costs: .15 cents per page for Black & White, .25 cents per page for Color
- There is no cost to use the computers, scanner, or WIFI